December 7, 2015

A Hardship License is a restricted driver's license available to drivers who's driving privileges are revoked for a serious driving violation. Common violations that may result in the state's DMV suspending driving privileges are:

  • DUI Charge (Driving Under the Influence)

  • Too Many Traffic Tickets (Habitual Traffic Offender)

  • Driving with a Suspended License or no License

  • Driving without Insurance

  • Street or Highway Racing

  • Fleeing from an Accident

If your license was suspended you may qualify for a hardship license without serving any of your suspension.


How to obtain a Hardship License

People who drive to work depend on their vehicles - and having valid licenses to drive those vehicles. There are many traffic offences in Florida, Virginia and other US States, that could result in your driving privilege taken away. However, you may be able to obtain a hardship license for business or employment purposes.


Below you will find information on how you may obtain a hardship license in most US States such as Florida:

First conviction. On a first conviction of DUI, you have to complete a DUI school and apply for a hearing for a possible hardship reinstatement. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will require an ignition interlock for six months if you have a blood alcohol level of .15.


Second conviction. If you have a second DUI conviction within five years, you may apply for a hardship license after one year, but must complete a DUI school and remain in a DUI supervision program for the remainder of the revocation period. If you fail to report for counseling or treatment even one time, it will result in cancellation of the hardship license. So, you may not consume any alcohol or use a controlled substance or drive a motor vehicle for 12 months prior to reinstatement. In addition, the DMV will make you get an ignition interlock for one or two years if your blood alcohol level is greater than .15.


Third conviction. If it's a third conviction within ten years, it's a ten-year revocation; but you may apply for a hardship reinstatement after two years. To do that, you must complete DUI school and remain in the DUI supervision program for the remainder of the revocation period. And again, if you fail to report for counseling or treatment, your hardship license will be cancelled and you cannot drive or consume any alcoholic beverage or controlled substance for 12 months prior to reinstatement and the DMV will require you to use an ignition interlock device for two years.


DUI manslaughter. If you have a DUI manslaughter with no prior DUI related convictions, you may be able to get a hardship license after five years, but you must meet the following conditions:

  • You cannot have been arrested for a drug related offense for at least five years.

  • You cannot drive a motor vehicle without a license.

  • You have to be alcohol and drug free for five years.

  • You must complete a DUI school.

  • You must be supervised under a DUI program for the remainder of the revocation period.

  • You will be required to use an ignition interlock device for two years.

  • In addition, you have to complete a victim awareness program for all DUIs, which are two to four hour programs put on by the Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) about the dangers of driving drunk.

Disclaimer: This summary was prepared by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and should be used as a reference only. Interested parties should refer to the full text of the law before drawing legal conclusions. You can also contact us with you Hardship License question.

Please reload

Featured Posts

As hurricane season is starting to barrel down on us it's time to review your insurance coverages to make sure your covered when the storms hit. Most...


April 18, 2016

Please reload

Recent Posts

December 12, 2015

December 9, 2015

Please reload

Please reload

Search By Tags
Please reload


Insurance Exchange of America

8600 N.W. 17th Street, #101, 
Doral, FL 33126

Toll-Free: 1-877-811-3372
Local: 305-403-0800 

Fax: 305-403-0801


2020 sr22california.com. All rights reserved.  |  SR22FR44Insurance.com powered by Insurance Exchange of America.  |  Privacy  |  Terms of Use